Download & Print the Prenatal Checklist PDF! or print this page!
First Trimester (Weeks 1-13)
- Get a pregnancy confirmation. (Community Center for Life can help!)
- Check on your insurance to see if it covers pregnancy; apply for Medicaid if needed.
- Find an OB/GYN who you can trust, make your first appointment, and then keep every follow up visit with the doctor.
- Stay healthy.
- Take your prenatal vitamins daily.
- If you drink, smoke, or do drugs – find a way to quit.
- Drink plenty of water – at least 8 glasses per day.
- Eat healthy foods like vegetables, fruits, foods with good
- protein and foods that are low in sugar and salt.
- Avoid lunch meats and Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
- Exercise – Go for a daily walk or take Pilates.
- Visit the dentist. A healthy mouth is a healthy body.
- Get plenty of rest! You’re making a whole other person!
- Take time for yourself. Staying stress free goes a long way.
- Tell your family the news!
- Sign up for prenatal or birthing classes (We offer free prenatal classes at the center!)
- Work on your relationship with the baby’s father. The father is the key to a baby’s emotional development, so it is important that he is a part of the child’s life if possible.
- If you never graduated, work on getting your GED! Be the role model NOW that your baby will need when he/she becomes a teenager.
Second Trimester (Weeks 14-27)
- Learn how to breastfeed, bottle feed, diaper, bathe, and care for your baby.
- Go over your finances.
- Budget for the baby’s arrival and doctor visits.
- Sign up for WIC (Women, Infants, & Children) if needed.
- Find a job if you aren’t working yet to save money for your baby.
- Choose a god-parent for your baby.
- Start buying maternity clothes and taking pictures of your growing belly.
- Pay attention to your mood and stress level. Don’t let other people get to you easily. Your baby feels how you feel.
- You are the roadmap for your child’s future. Children learn what they live. They repeat what they see, so set a good example in a good environment. Work on making your life and your surroundings what you want your child to see! (Our free mentoring classes can help with this!)
- Talk to your baby so he/she can learn your voice. Have your partner talk to your baby too! Make sure you let the baby’s father feel the baby when he/she kicks!
- Don’t dwell on wanting one gender over another. You are growing the perfect little person for you, whether he’s a boy, or she’s a girl. Make sure your developing baby feels loved for who they are!
- Start buying for the baby. Some of the most important items are: a crib, a car seat, diapers, wipes, toiletries, onesies, clothes, bottles, burp cloths, swaddling blankets, a medical kit, etc. (Make sure you send thank you notes to anyone who buys baby items for you.) If you’re on a tight budget check out “Finders Keepers for Kidz” at 900 Terry Parkway, Suite 110 in Terrytown. It has a lot of inexpensive, gently used baby items!
Third Trimester (Weeks 28-40)
- Choose a baby name!
- Take a tour of the labor and delivery portion of the hospital where you will deliver.
- Find a pediatrician you trust. Meet with them about being at the hospital when you give birth, and ask about what you should prepare for the first month of the baby’s life.
- Find someone to watch your other children while you’re at the hospital giving birth.
- Take parenting classes. (We offer these free at the pregnancy center.)
- Set up a meal plan for when you get back from the hospital. (It is ok to ask friends and family to help! Www.mealtrain.com is a great resource to pass on to your best friend.)
- Make a birth plan – and don’t forget to give it to your doctor before you deliver!
- Make arrangements for post-partum care for yourself for the first week or two. Ask someone to help around the house while you recover, help watch any other children you may have, go grocery shopping, and watch the baby sometimes so you can rest.
- Pack for the hospital.
- Try not to worry! Find positive outlets for your stress, and remember to ENJOY your pregnancy!
Community Center for Life
539 Lafayette Street
Gretna, LA 70053